Sunday, June 14, 2009

7. Flat Stanley Comes and Flat Stanley Goes!

So as I mentioned yesterday, our first Stanley came home. And a couple more Stanleys are still trickling out here and there to go visiting. I received an offer passed along via my sister today inviting Stanley to Montclair, in Northern Virginia, where his host Alvin says he would be happy to help Stanley find his way to Mount Vernon, the Pope-Leighy House, or beautiful Fort Belvoir, VA. So he will be going off to Montclair tomorrow.

He also received an invitation to Kansas, which said:

"I see you have Kansas already covered, but I live very close to MO, as well, if you want to send him along our way. Addie has already done a Flat Stanley with her Camp Fire group, but Harry is new to the experience and is sure to cook up something extra dangerous for Flat Stanley. Maybe you can include a release of liability in our envelope?"

So, Stanley will be going there tomorrow, too (I'll have to work on that release of liability! ha!), as well as to the East end of London!


We received an email from Flat Stanley in England today! It said:

"Hi Alexa, it's Flat Stanley here!

Just to let you know, I arrived safe and sound in England! I am staying in the West Midlands in a town called Solihull. I am living with Charlotte and her family. She lives with her mom, dad and 2 sisters. Charlotte also has a rabbit named Edward, a cat named Henry and a hamster named Honey!

The weather here is nice. Today it is sunny, but sometimes it rains a LOT! I have been playing in the garden today. We played on the trampoline and then on the slide and swings, it was fun! For dinner we had fish and chips from the 'fish and chip shop'! (In England chips are the same as what we call 'french fries').

Yesterday I visited Solihull town centre. It's small but very pretty with a lovely park to play in! We went shopping and got some ice cream. I looked out for any cool souvenirs to bring home with me!

Charlotte is still deciding how to dress me, she wants me to look really cool! I'll send some pictures very soon!

Lots of love, Flat Stanley xxx"


We also received an email and pictures from Stanley's host Elizabeth, in Connecticut. She wrote:

"Stanley Pics!! Feel free to post them on his blog. It is of him colored, we haven't cut him out because I'm worried about getting him places, MIL had a solution so she might take him to her work, a preschool...The other is of Maxwell and Stanley in the car getting ready to go on their sleepover." (They had a sleepover at Maxwell's Nana's house) :)

Here are the pictures:

Photobucket

Photobucket


And we received an email from Flat Stanley in Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates! Flat Stanley wrote:

"Hello Alexa,
I just arrived after a 17 hour flight to sunny Dubai, United arab emirates! I'm exhausted and I'm missing you already!

My host family tells me that tomorrow we are going to visit the world's first 7 star hotel and then we are going to the Palm Island which is a huge man made island! But more about that tomorrow with pictures!

I'm going to bed now as I need to get over my jet lag and be ready for my adventures tomorrow!

Chat soon!
Flat Stanley"


And just before I went to bed for the night, I checked email one more time and saw that we got another email, with pictures! This one was from Marian in Ventura, California. It said:

"Hi, Alexa and Alexa's Mom:

Today Flat Stanley went with us to an open house put on by the Seabees at the Naval Base in Port Hueneme, California. (You pronounce it "Port Why-nee-mee, which is not at all the way it looks. I think it's from an Indian word, but nobody here remembers what language it was or what it meant.)Anyway, Stanley had fun. As you can see in this picture, he saw a diving suit up close.

He also saw some enormous trucks and combat vehicles, and the kind of heavy equipment that the Seabees use to construct necessary structures for Navy personnel. You might be interested in looking up Seabees in the encyclopedia, because they've been around for a long time, and there was even once a Broadway musical written about them, called "South Pacific". (There was also a John Wayne movie called "Seabees", but I never saw it so I can't say if it's good or not.)

In case you're wondering why Stanley was wearing a tank top, shorts, and flip-flops, it's because it was very hot out at the Naval Base today, and that's how everyone who doesn't have to work in an office likes to dress here when it's hot. That's because we live right next to the ocean in a beach community that's famous for surfing. (Yes, Stanley is going to go surfing, or at least boogie-boarding. That's going to be next.)

Love,
from Stanley Lambchop's foster family in California


And here is the picture they sent:

Photobucket


This was subsequently followed by a "P.S." email which read:

"Hi, Nance --
I forgot to mention that when I was holding Stanley up to the diving suit,
a voice from behind me said, "Oh, look, she has a Flat Stanley!" It was a
mother talking to her children, one of whom was in a class that did a Flat
Stanley project this last school year. When I told them about all the places
Stanley was going this summer -- all the states and countries you sent them to --
they were quite envious, because their Stanley only went one place, to a school
in another city.

Marian"

Cute story! We love hearing about Stanley's adventures, we love the picture, and we will definitely be looking up more about "Seabees" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment