Tuesday, June 16, 2009

8. Flat Stanley Learns a Foreign Language and Visits The Great Swamp!

We received the following email yesterday from Stanley in Grand Forks, North Dakota, where he is visiting his new friend Jackie. It said:

Hello Alexa,

It's Flat Stanley here! Just wanted to let you know that I arrived in Grand Forks, North Dakota over the weekend and was amazed to find that it's not the frigid wasteland I thought it might be. It was a sweltering 85 degrees when I got here and the humidity was practically unbearable! The weather here has been nice so far, but I can tell it's going to be another hot one today.

I am living with a lady named Jackie and her boyfriend during my visit. Jackie has told me that I may even get to see Minnesota and be taken along with her on her road trip to Colorado! I'm pretty excited since I have never seen those places, but you may not see me until the end of July if I get to go with. Jackie has been trying to teach me a lot about herself already. I have learned that Jackie is a college student majoring in English Education and can speak some Norwegian (she taught me already that "Hvordan gar det?" means "How's it going"!). Yesterday for supper we had some hamburger concoction called hotdish? I've never heard of it, but Jackie tells me it's the same thing as a casserole. It must be one of those Scandinavian things, although I'm not sure what that means.

I have seen a little bit of the town, but nothing major so far. The most exciting thing I've seen so far is when Jackie took me to Widman's candy store yesterday. We tried out their world famous chocolate covered potato chips! They were delicious.
I promise to send pictures next time, but Jackie is still deciding how to dress me.

See you soon!

Love,
Flat Stanley"


We also received an email from England yesterday which said:

"I have enjoyed my visit to Chester and am now on my way home.
I hope that you like the bits and pieces that I am bringing with me.

Flat Stanley"

We are glad you enjoyed your visit, Stanley, and we are looking forward to seeing what you are bringing back with you!


Flat Stanley received another invitation to go visiting, so this morning we sent him off to the UK, to Essex! That was the 66th Stanley who went out visiting :)


We received another Flat Stanley home yesterday from my Aunt Gloria in New Jersey!

She wrote:

"Dear Alexa,

Your FLAT STANLEY came all the way to Summit, New Jersey.

While he was here, these are some of the exciting things he saw and did:

We went to the Great Swamp, a wildlife preserve, not too far from Summit. We were lucky because yesterday was one of only a few days without rain! We saw all kinds of birds, fish and flowers. Stanley was smart. He wore sneakers! I should have too!

After our visit, we treated ourselves to hot fudge sundaes from Magic Fountain!

The distance between your town, Port Carbon, PA 17965, and my location, Summit, New Jersey, is approximately 100 miles.

If FLAT STANLEY should come back to visit, he should wear summer clothes and swim fins (if it keeps on raining!!) because the climate here is a little warmer than where you live.

Some other interesting facts about my location include:

Many battles of the Revolutionary War were fought within a few mile radius of my house.

P.S. Here is a description (if applicable) of the enclosed photo/s, postcard/s or souvenir/s:

I am enclosing a brochure that describes all the things you can see when we visit The Great Swamp!

Aunt Gloria"


This Stanley came back with clippings of all different birds and information about the Great Swamp. It was fun to read about!

We also received a postcard in the mail yesterday from Flat Stanley in Maine! It read:

"Dear Alexa,
Hello from Maine. I haven't been able to do much here yet because the weather has been so bad. My host family hopes to take me to see a real lobster boat and maybe even Acadia National Park.
Stanley"

The weather has been yucky here, too, Stanley! Alexa had a swimming lesson this morning and I was cold just sitting there on the bench watching, the poor kids must have been freezing in the water! We hope that you make it to that lobster boat and National Park, it sounds fun! :)

UPDATE:

Since posting this, we received another Flat Stanley email (with a picture!), this one from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where he is staying with his host, Tim. It said:

"Alexa,

Flat Stanley arrived safely in Calgary last Friday. He has been spending the last few days relaxing while we get ready to attend a wedding in Salmon Arm BC. We will be taking him with us, so he will be getting a great look at the mountains. A week or so after we get back I will be taking him to the Calgary Stampede. He is so excited by this that he already has his cowboy duds on.

Watch for pictures over the next weeks.
Stanley"

And here is what Stanley looks like with his "cowboy duds".... :)

Photobucket

Another Update:

The following email just came in from Burkburnett, Texas where Stanley is visiting his host mom Tammy:

"I have arrived in Burkburnett Texas safely and it is 101 degrees...HOT!!!! About to put on some flip flops and swim trunks and go hang out at the pool :-)

When do you want me to return home?"


This was followed up with another email, with pics:

"WOW It is HOT HERE!!!!! I got to spend the afternoon getting clothes made for me and floating around on a raft in the middle of a pool :-)

Photobucket

I ran around in the garden as well but it was getting hotter-thinking I may spend most of the time in the pool while here :-)

Photobucket

There are four dogs and a cat here, I only got to hang out with Zoe so far- she is cute and just a puppy :)

Photobucket

I have two choices for this evening- go with Tammy to a Weight Watchers meeting or hang out with Chris who I have not got to meet yet. Tammy says if I hang out here I have to get Chris to find a Mets game on TV so I can wear the Yankees Tshirt she made me- something tells me she is trying to get me into trouble my first day here!"


Stanley, we love the clothes! The pool raft looks so relaxing and we're jealous of the sun and warmth; it is so cold here today for June!

Alexa says that you should hang out with Chris tonight so that you can get to know him, too! :)

And Elizabeth in Connecticut left me a message today, too! (She is the one whose little boy, Maxwell, is in the picture with Stanley from yesterday's entry). It said:

"Stanley and the boys have had a big day today. We went to the park, Stanley LOVES the slides fyi! At least Maxwell made sure he did. I took quite a few pics of the boys and him at the park, and a few of Stanley going down the slide with Maxwell's help by himself! Max said "wee" for him!

And...in about an hour we are taking Maxwell and Stanley to their first movie! Ill take pics and try to get them all uploaded today.

Oh and MIL laminated Stanley and he is much more durable, which is good because Gavin got his hands on him and was giving Stanley kisses on his hands...well, we'll call it kisses, lol."

LOL I'm glad Maxwell and Stanley had fun at the park, and I hope that they enjoy the movie! I can't wait to hear about what movie they saw and to see more pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment